We get the 10 commandments the wrong way round if we think they are there to either please God or to ensure His blessingand giving us a more successful life. Instead, they show us what our response to His grace looks like.
- We think: "If i don't covet, God (and other people) will be happy with me and it will help me to be satisfied with what I've got". It should be: "I recognise what God has done forme and given me.As a response to his grace, I don't covet."
- We think: "If I don't lie, I'll be an honest person and God (and others) respect me, and I'll get into less problems in relationships". It should be:" The truth is that I am dishonest sinful but God has forgiven me and, as a response, I don't need to lie to protect my reputation before God or others"
- We think: "If I don't steal I'll be a respectable person and wont go to jail". It should be: "I deserve nothing and God gives me everything, as a response to that grace I don't want to take what isn't mine"
- We think: "If I don't commit adultery, my marraige will work out a lot better". It should be: "God has given my the amazing gift of a wife and, as a response, I want to be faithful to her".
- We think: "If I don't murder, I'll function better as a member of society". It should be: "Jesus was mudered in my place, as a response to that, I show people mercy"
- We think: "If I honour father and mother, my family life will go a lot smoother". It should be: "God has given me my family and as a response I want to put everything I can into that family rather than thinkning about what I can get out of it".
- We think: "God has commanded that I don't do any work on the sabbath, so I'll work out exactly what is and isn't work so that I don't break that rule". It should be: "God didn't make man in order to fulfil this thing called "sabbath", He made the Sabbath for man as we need time to rest and focus on Him".
- We think: "I wont use the lords name in vain so that He wont get angry, I'll use another word instead so it doesn't offend Him". It should be: "In response to God's grace towards me, I treat everything about Him with honour and respect"
- We think: "I wont worship any other gods so that the real God is pleased with me". It should be: "As a response to God's love and grace towards me, He becomes the focus of my entire life and worship, and other things don't become gods".