Phillipians 2:5-115Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! 9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Are there any jobs or activities that you consider to be beneath you? We need to understand that becoming a man is beneath God. We can't understand how much of a step down it is for Jesus to become a man. The creator becoming like one of His creations. Compared to that, nothing is beneath us.
- We are not God but we try to act as if we have equality with God. He was God but didn’t hold on to His equality, instead becoming a man. (v6-7)
- We are nothing and are desperately trying to make ourselves something. He is THE thing, He is God, but He made Himself nothing. (v7)
- We think we deserve to be served. We don't. He does. But He became a servant to us. (v7)
- We want to set the rules for other people but not be obedient to any rules ourselves. He was obedient to the point of death. (v8)
- We think of ourselves as the centre of the universe, we think everything exists for our benefit. Everything does exist for His benefit but He was willing to die a disgraceful death on a cross.
He did all of that for us, while we were still ignoring Him and obsessed with ourselves. He did all these things for us, not because we did anything, but because He loved us.