You're anxious about something. What is it?
Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith. Therefore do not be anxious, saying "What shall we eat?" or "what shall we drink?" or "what shall we wear?" For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Jesus tells you not to be anxious!
- v1"therefore" - the command to not worry is related to what he has been saying previously. We will be anxious if we are focused on storing up earthly treasure. We will be anxious if we are serving the god of money, or even trying to serve money and God (as if that was possible). Peace will be found in serving God with our eyes fixed on our eternal life with Him.
- Don't be anxious because God is concerned about the needs of the birds, and pays attention to the grass in the field, and he is more bothered about you than them! (v26)
- Don't be anxious because it doesn't work. You can't extend your life by anything, including worry. God is in charge of your survival (v27)
- Do not be anxious because life is about more than survival (v25). Is a long life of worrying your goal?
- Do not be anxious but have faith in God instead (v30). He can be trusted.
- Do not be anxious because God knows your needs (v32). He knows them far better than you do.
- Do not be anxious because anxiety is a pagan mindset (v32) - always wondering if you've done enough, wondering if God is in a good mood. The Christian mindset is confident - we know we haven't done enough but we know what mood God is in!
- Do not be anxious but seek God before all the other things that are the subject of our anxiety (v33) "Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither". cs Lewis
- Do not be anxious because there's enough stuff going on today that needs our attention rather than worrying about tomorrow (v34). Are we so concerned with what might happen in the future that life is passing us by? Are we worrying our life away?