"Common obstacles that hinder redemptive relationships developing in our lives:
- The busyness of life, keeping relationships distant and casual.
- A total immersion in friendships that are activity and happiness based.
- A concious avoidence of close relationships as too scary or messy.
- A formal commitment to church activities, with no real connection to people
- One way, ministry driven friendships in which you always minister to others, but never allow others to minister to you.
- Self-centred "meet my felt needs" relationships that keep you always receiving but seldom giving.
- A private, independant "just me and God" approach to the Christian life
- Theology as a replacement for relationship. Knowing God as a life of study, rather than the pursuit of God and his people."
Timothy Lane & Paul Tripp, How People Change